8/21/26

HALF


This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--HALF
Five minutes to free-write about it
-------------------------------------------------

This week's prompt showed up just as I was pondering a bizarre (at least to me) display I had seen at Costco yesterday.  Proportionately, to the eye, it does not look half and half because the Christmas trees are so tiny, but that's what it is. A combination of two very mismatched holidays--Halloween and Christmas.

On the other hand, this container of Half-&-Half may seem like a more balanced combination, but the result is a mixture of milk and cream that lacks the distinct identity of either one.

These musings got me completely off track and instead of focusing on the word prompt, half, I found myself considering an analogy between Half-&-Half, and the church of Laodicea who Jesus rebuked in the book of Revelation for being lukewarm and indifferent.

I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth (Revelation 3:15-16, ESV).

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful analogy and lesson here. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😁 I had the same thought verses minus the half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo is also half because there is only the top half of the skeleton. They are mixing the evil with the good for sure. I love your description of half & half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bom dia, Sandra
    Apocalipse 3:15-16 traz uma advertência muito forte de Jesus à igreja de Laodiceia. A ideia principal é sobre não viver uma fé morna. Que o Senhor nos fortaleça sempre. Respondendo à tua pergunta no meu blog, a minha filha é farmacêutica pesquisadora. Beijos, querida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree. They tried to marry Christmas and Halloween in the movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas." My children watched it and liked it, but for me, well, it just gave off a creepy vibe. Also, I believe half and half makes the best coffee creamer. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. II joined the Link Up for the first time this week. I hadn’t even considered the church of Laodicea, but that’s a great one. As I thought about it, I realized there are so many references to “halves” in scripture, so my five-minute brain was all over the place with this first prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think you outdid yourself on this prompt. Love the Laodicea "rabbit hole" you went down. Perfection and certainly not Half-baked ...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. you and I had similar thoughts! Approached it differently, but hey, it's still there. visiting from FMF11

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginny showed her Halloween decorations also. I am surprised and yet not surprised to see them in the stores. If I go to any of the bigger stores I dare say they will be around here too. I loved half and half in my coffee. However, it does not love me back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly can not believe that people are paying the HIGH prices of all of these Halloween skeletons. The big ones are marked $250.00 and up around here. You did good with this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this beautiful, vivid post. I loved how the Costco display led you from “half” to Laodicea! I’ve been thinking about lukewarmness quite a bit lately too. I really don’t want that in my own life.

    In Dutch we have the word halfbakken — literally “half-baked” — for something that isn’t quite finished or wholehearted. That word suddenly came to mind while reading your post. I don’t want a halfbakken faith either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.