8/9/26

AN UNWELCOME SHIFT

This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--SHIFT
Five minutes to free-write about it
-------------------------------------------------

This is the sad tale of a very unexpected and unwelcome shift. 

It didn't start out that way though.

For the first time since I can remember, summer started pest free. There were no hordes of stinkbugs or lanternflies on my balcony--not even one. What a great shift from summers past,

I looked forward to thriving plants, and to being able to sit outside for a change without worrying about bugs flying on me or my hair, or inadvertently carrying one into my apartment on my clothes.























And then came the unexpected shift. A couple of weeks ago, I spotted one loan lanternfly crawling along the ledge outside my window. Then a couple more on the balcony railing. And then two or three gathered in the corners of some windows. And then, what I dreaded most, one comfortably feasting on a leaf. Ugh!!!

Feeling grateful that so far it's been nowhere near as bad as it has been in the past. Hoping against hope they don't keep multiplying and that my wildflowers survive.



1 comment:

  1. Dear Sandra, here in Montreal we have mostly the ticks and mosquitoes 🦟 in our summers which are mostly very hot and humid. This summer there are many more and what the experts are calling invasive species and we have more than normal to be concerned about.
    I hope that your insects don't multiply more.
    Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely week ahead. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.