8/31/24

HISTORY

This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--HISTORY
Five minutes to free-write about it
-------------------------------------------------------
Today I made history. 

For the first time in probably over half a century, I actually followed through on a fitness challenge and a fitness resolution I added to it going into the month. Exercise (other than ballroom dancing, which I can no longer do), has never been my thing. 

For the month of August I joined a fitness challenge to exercise a minimum of 12 times during the month (I actually did 13 times), and the resolution I added to it was to walk a minimum of 2500 steps every day. 

I can't believe I actually managed to do it--especially the steps, since that was a daily commitment with no days off, and there were some days that only the grace of God carried me through.

Some other firsts this week--though I'm not sure they qualify as history. Fungi growing in my indoor dracaena flowerpots. I've never seen such a thing before or even thought it was possible.

 



The other surprise was the discovery that a plant I thought was a weed was not.

The other times I've planted wildflower seeds on my balcony, plants such as this leafy green one were the first to pop up and I thought they were weeds because they never flowered. They just seemed to take over the flower pots they were in and crowd everything else out. 


This year, however, and at the end of summer no less, I was proved wrong.

When I least expected, it started to bud, and now has some pretty yellow flowers.

Good thing I didn't pull it out when I was tempted to.





12 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise of the flowers! I have never ever seen fungi grow in houseplants!! You are amazing, I could never do this challenge. You must be very healthy. Good for you, you need some kind of reward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. both are lovely surprises! I love mushrooms, and the flower is a pretty one. FMF11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you in completing that exercise challenge.
    That yellow flower is a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra! Wow, you did it!! Those steps are quite an accomplishment, my friend! I love that you did more than was expected with your exercises! I think anything that blooms is a flower, even if it's a weed . . . Your flower is beautiful! Happy Labor Day! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you for sticking to your plan. With Him, you can do anything. That's a beautiful flower. I can't imagine the surprise for you seeing that flower. But you also gave it a chance for it to thrive despite the thought it might produce nothing. Stay safe and strong. Especially in the Lord's mighty power! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your fitness milestone, Sandra.
    It’s amazing to hear how you stuck with your challenge and hit your daily step goal.
    The fungi and unexpected flowers in your plants sound like intriguing surprises.
    Nature has a way of keeping us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I sure am proud of you completing the challenge. Good for your health, both physical and mental... Hubby and I try to do the same in our Steps too. When we don't we sure feel like slugs.
    Love your lovely happy yellow flowers in your flower boxes. Weeds to some and glorious flowers to others.. Its all in our perspective.. (:0)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful and congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment. Your weed turned into a lovely gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your success. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandra, well done with your exercising. I don't do a lot of walking, but I have an ' Orbitrek MX' , which is a brilliant gadget which I can put under my computer when I am using it, or anywhere in my workroom ( under my Yamaha keyboard when I am playing my songs ), as long as I am sat down. It allows me to do any kind of 'running' or 'walking' at various speeds. I also had some kind of fungi growing in the pot of the indoor rubber plant that I have. I just dug it out. I like the pretty yellow flower plant too. It just goes to show that some flowers take time to reveal their beauty. God bless you Sandra.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.