2/13/24

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, AND AN ADDENDUM TO LAST WEEK'S FMF PROMPT "CONSUME"


The display of Valentine's Day goods at our local grocery store is so pretty. You can't miss it when you enter the door. I stopped to admire it before starting my trip around the aisles to do some much needed restocking after my No Spend January challenge last month. 

The child-sized "customer in training" shopping carts made me smile, but for some reason, when I looked at them today, I thought the sign said "consumer in training" instead.

That got me to thinking about last week's FMF prompt CONSUME, and of how one of the participants, Carole Duff, started out her post with the words: Consume: to eat, drink, buy, buy, buy, and use it upThat definitely seems to be the mindset in my neck of the woods. 

My gratitude at being surrounded by so much abundance and being able to come in here and freely buy whatever I want was tinged with guilt over how mindlessly and often frivolously I shop for food. Not everybody is so fortunate.























By God's grace, I have never had to go hungry, but according to recent statistics, 46.9 of the world's population lives in poverty, and as many as 828 million people (an average of about one in 10) goes to bed hungry every night.

It made me want to empty my shopping cart, go home, and start another no-spend month challenge right then and there, but I didn't. The thought did stay with me though as I unloaded my bags and filled the pantry and freezer.

We're in the middle of a month right now and I don't want to wait until next month to start, so given that tomorrow is both Valentine's Day and the first day of Lent, I'm seriously considering a no-spending-on-food challenge for Lent.

6 comments:

  1. Sandra - this is so good. Such a thought provoking post. We have so much and I for one, often take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is thought-provoking. We have much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great reminder of the abundance we often take for granted and the stark contrast for many who go hungry.

    Happy Thursday, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were very nice Valentine's Day displays. I don’t have a lot of heart decorations and keep meaning to add at least a couple. Not this year though, maybe next. The child-sized shopping carts made me smile too. Things that are taken for granted aren’t available to many, you’re right. Everyone should have food and shelter and I hope one day it will be so. In the meantime, I help whenever I can. It’s not much but I do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Valentine's Day displays. I am grateful they didn't have those kid carts or the oversized beats with a full size cart and a place for a kiddo to sit. when my kids were small. I would never have gotten out of the grocery store. Poverty & hunger is a very sad thing. We donate to a local church and at CHristmas they were able to fill 75 homes with full meals including a turkey and ham! this is a small church too. Just think if people with really wealth could do if only they felt the need. My kids often had a friend at school who was often hungry. even when my 15 year old grandgirl was in elementary school she was sneaking extra things, granola bars, fruit, et. When my son and his wife asked her wh at was going on she told them someone in her class did not get enough food at home. It is a very big sadness. I hope those of us who help will continue as we can. I find it very sad to see so much hunger in our own country. Thank you for your post. Have a lbessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.