10/28/23

STRIVE

This
 post was written for Five Minute Friday 
Word prompt--STRIVE
Five minutes to free write about it 
-------------------------------------------------
As I Googled for a verse on striving this popped up first. It's not an actual bible verse, but it was just what I needed to see at this particular moment in time. A personal message of encouragement from the Lord, it seems. Hopefully a word of encouragement to someone else who reads this post as well.
“Do not strive in your own strength; cast yourself at the feet of the Lord Jesus, and wait upon Him in the sure confidence that He is with you, and works in you. Strive in prayer; let faith fill your heart -so will you be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might.”

—Andrew Murray

It made me smile as I thought of how well it addressed my feelings regarding a text someone I have not heard from in a very long time sent me this morning and my response to it. 

I had been unable to get to the phone in time to answer her call yesterday, but was overjoyed to see her name on the screen. I immediately called back to apologize for not making it to the phone on time, and when it was voice mail that answered instead of her, I left a message saying I hoped she would try again.

For the rest of the afternoon and evening I carried my cell phone around with me in full anticipation that she would, but she did not. And so, instead of just letting it go and letting God, I strove for that call back by following up with a text. 

At first it seemed as though she wasn't going to respond to my text either, but early this morning she did. Just a short text back saying she had called because she had been thinking of me, she was doing well, and she assumed I was thriving. My response was that I wouldn't say I was thriving, but I was doing okay and God is good.

And yes, God has been beyond good. He has been awesome and touched me in so many small, personal ways to encourage me along the way. This was such a small thing. Why could I not just rest in Him instead of striving to make things play out the way I wanted them to.

Though it was disappointing not to get to talk to this person from out of the past, it was still a blessing to know that she does still think of me sometimes and that for one brief moment she even considered picking up the phone to call.    

10 comments:

  1. Oh this makes me smile and warms my heart. I can soooo relate to your story. Bless you. You’re a woman of great wisdom. Thank you for leaving your gleanings here.🌸

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting thought about striving. I do think the Lord planted it in your heart. I am glad you tried to get in touch with her and that there was a bit of contact. What a blessing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be very hard to know when to let go and let God do His thing, and when He wants us to step up. Of course, we pray about it, but it still is a matter of discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got a text back from her. Yes, God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you see that your striving wasn't necessary. But then again - you probably needed to know why she called. So it's good to find out all is well.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate to this, Sandra. Have done the same so many times, even very recently. Why do we strive, eh? Gotta take my soul back to Him in the waiting for what sometimes will not happen because people are people. Thanks for sharing. Kath, your FMF neighbour at #8 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandra~ I love the quote... just perfect for this day. It's always so nice to know that someone is thinking of you. Sometimes it's hard to wait on the Lord. We are human and always want answers in our time, not His. I think your text was probably what she needed, you did the right thing! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really relate to this. I so often try to do everything in my own strength and feel disappointed or irritated when things don't go according to my plans or desires. Bless you. Thank you for the wise quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, but I forgot to leave my name there. Dawn #20

      Delete
  9. So glad you got in touch with her.
    It must be comforting to know that she does think of you.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.