8/18/23

MOMENT

This post was written for Five Minute Friday 
Word prompt--MOMENT
Five minutes to free write about it 
------------------------------------------------------
The first thing I thought of when I saw this week's prompt was the old hymn, "Day by day, and with each passing moment." The tune and first couple of lines have since been on autoplay and I can't get them out of my mind. 

When I looked up the lyrics it turned out to be a very timely and encouraging message for me--and hopefully for at least one other person who reads this post.

The last few months have felt like a scary roller coaster ride full of ups and unexpected downs. Today, however, I choose to savor each moment rather than allow anxious thoughts about the future rob me of my present blessings.

Blessed moments of waking up to a brand new day with less pain than the day before, of having my prayer partner stop by for a live visit instead of our weekly Zoom, of finding a can of one of my favorite soups outside my door, of being delightedly surprised by the coolness of the day instead of the oppressive heat we've been having for the last few and that I've been trying to avoid, being able to take a short walk without my walker, and of being able to come back upstairs and open the windows to give the A/C a break.

--------------------------------------

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

15 comments:

  1. This is a lovely hymn. Phil knows it, but I didn't. I am so sorry you are going through this hard time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so beautifully, Sandra. He is indeed a kind Father. 'He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure'. I pray you will know His presence even more deeply in these hard times. Visiting from FMF #3 this week. Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard this hymn before thank you for sharing, living in the moment, fixing our eyes on Jesus and counting our blessings is such a source of peace and comfort in our trials. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard that song for a while and enjoy having it run through my head, especially after reading those words again. We are blessed! I'm thankful you are able to share your blessings in the middle of hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of that old hymn as well - it's a good one! Praying that God continues to strengthen and encourage you each moment! Visiting from FMF#16

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether you are in Cancun
    or behind Missouri plow,
    give it all and shoot the moon,
    for all you've got is Now.
    Moments pass by way too fast,
    even though we bid them stay,
    but as Now becomes the past,
    look, and you will find a way
    to keep joy living in your heart
    after joyous moment's gone.
    Wonder need not fall apart
    in the cooler light of dawn.
    Just know that God saves all your tears,
    He also saves your living years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, how I needed to read this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I'm so glad you had a day to see the good instead of fearing for the future. It's a breath of fresh air isn't it? FMF15

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the song and reminders. I’m sorry for the roller coaster ride, but love your attitude 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely hymn. I hadn't heard it before, I'm so happy you included it as it warmed my heart.
    Visiting today from FMF#13

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I haven't heard that song for years. What perfect words of encouragement and promise. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an absolutely beautiful song, and it doesn't matter that is was written all that time ago. God has a wonderful way of speaking to us, wherever we are in the world at whatever the time. Do not let the spiritual enemy cause you to fear. Our times are in God's hands, and even though we do not know what tomorrow brings - His thoughts are for our welfare and not to harm us. God bless you with all He has for us in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just finished working the book fair for my grand quads middle school and am so happy to see such a large number of well mannered children!
    I love the 'Blessed Moments' of talking to the Lord first thing in the morning. I usually go outside on the kitchen deck with that first cup of coffee.

    Such a beautiful song....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops! I forgot to tell you it is a STAFF run instead of PTA. The others we have worked were PTA so this was our first.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.