6/1/20

BORN

This post was written for Five Minute Friday.
Word prompt--BORN 
Five minutes to write about it

I almost skipped this week's prompt because the only thing that came to mind was the birth of a baby, and telling you that my friend's first grandbaby was born over the weekend would not take five minutes.

However, I just thought of another way to look at the prompt, so here's my late entry.

For years I viewed my knapsack as an indispensable item that went everywhere with me. It supported my aching back while I walked, and contained everything I thought I might need when I got to wherever I was going. During the pandemic, however, I started using a small camera bag instead that was barely large enough to contain an assortment of cards, plus a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Cell phone went in one of my pockets, keys in another.  

To my surprise, I could do quite nicely without the heavy knapsack. Its contents were not as essential as I had thought, and a new, less cumbersome habit was born.

9 comments:

  1. Great post. I've pared down the amount of "necessary items" that I carry with me since the pandemic started. I have a small crossbody bag that holds just the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it - out of restrictions a new freedom is born! FMF Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that. Had I thought of it, it would have been a great line to include in my post, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I avoid large purses at all costs! I’m glad you’ve formed a new habit—your back will thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also nearly skipped this week! Glad you didn't as I am another person that carries to much in detriment to her back. A camera bag sounds perfect moving foward :) a fellow fmfer that can't remember her number x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are such creatures of habit..aren't we?
    It sounds like that new bag will be a lot more comfy for you on your walks. Seems like you are down to the essentials...So Now YOU are ESSENTIAL too...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a new habit now,
    as taken by a nun.
    I am lost and I am cowed,
    and I am become
    a person who's been shaped by fate,
    a man in whom these fell new tumours
    can only to been seen of late
    to generate the rumours
    that life can still be worth the hope,
    that days can still hold awe
    unto the God that helps me cope
    with my body's fatal flaw
    and holds in shyness out to me
    a fragment of our victory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We could probably all shed a few things we thought were essential before all this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m a big purse kinda gal but I’ve pared down too for now. I may continue just taking my list and pocket sized wallet to the grocery store even after we’re on the other side of this crazy time! Your #fmf neighbor (also late) Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.