8/1/26

AFFORD


This post was written for
Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--AFFORD
Five minutes to free-write about it
-------------------------------------------------

This is my very first post on my new Macbook Neo computer.  

The very old computer I had been using was on its last legs. It needed  to be replaced, but how?  There seemed no way I could afford a new one--let alone another Mac.

Thinking I would have to settle for a refurbished PC, I called my grandson-in-law who is an expert in such things to see if my Mac files could be transferred to a PC. Imagine my surprise when he told me that Apple had just come out with a brand new, no frills, very affordable model--the Macbook Neo, which he suggested I check out.

Not only was it half the price of a regular Mac, but I could pay for it in 12 no-interest monthly payments. 

The easy part was purchasing it on Amazon Prime, which got it to me in two days. However, figuring out how to set it up, migrate everything over from the old computer, and then install the new Microsoft Office package (which my daughter gifted me when my old version wouldn't work after being migrated), turned into a huge challenge that literally took several days of repeated effort because I kept doing things wrong and having to do them over and over before finally getting them right.

In my frustration, I questioned why I was having to struggle like this. Why couldn't I just enjoy my unexpected blessing without all this effort. And then I remembered a very old parable about a man who found an emperor moth cocoon and took it home so he could watch the process of the moth emerging. As the moth struggled to get through the tiny opening in the cocoon, he felt pity for it and enlarged the hole with a snip of his scissors.

That enabled the moth to emerge easily, but its body was swollen, its wings were all shriveled up, and it would never gain the ability to fly. Preventing the struggle had deprived it of the very vigor it needed to be able to do so. 

The struggle the moth needed to engage in as it tried to emerge through the narrow opening was God's design for forcing fluid from its body into its wings. Similarly, what may seem like frustrating challenges to me, He allows as catalysts for growth and inner resilience.

How fast my perspective changed, as did my attitude to one of gratitude, as I realized that what had at first seemed like wasted time, had not been wasted at all. It had exercised my mental muscles, giving my brain cells a much needed workout, even as it strengthened my inner resources as well.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Sandra, congratulations 🎊 👏 on your MacBook Neo computer 🖥
    I am ecstatic for you, dear friend.
    It's wonderful to have a friend or family member who is very knowledgeable in technology.
    I love the parable that you shared. It teaches us a very important lesson.
    Do not interfere with the process of nature. Be patient and let nature take its course, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed by you! We do not know how to transfer or set up from one computer to another. We always have to call tech. I imagine you also learned a lot doing this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new Mac Neo. My old computer is just about done for and my son is seeing about the new Mac for me too. I sure hope I can (with son's help) get everything off this old Mac and onto a new one. I don't want to loose any blog posts and archives and photos.
    I really love your illustration about Struggles and I am taking it to heart ...
    I did answer your question a few hours ago on your last posting. Hope you can find it helpful.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new macbook. It's never easy to get a new computer and I appreciate the lesson you shared here. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for a new computer, hope you like it well enough long term I also love when perspective shifts allow one to see more clearly visiting from FMF8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, God’s lessons seem to come with rough edges pre-installed to polish my rough bits! I admit I sometimes wish He would take the easy road. 😅. But He is always good to bring me through. 💕.Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra, I love how you turned a tech headache into a spiritual insight.
    The moth parable fits perfectly -- sometimes the struggle is the very thing that equips us.
    Congrats on your new MacBook Neo, may it serve you well for many creative posts ahead! 🌸
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great writing, indeed the learning process is useful and I'm proud of you for fighting through it and seeing the purpose in it. You are a good storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a great parable to this story... Makes you think for sure...So happy for you to have your new MacBook. I use a MacBook and it can be challenging at times..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olá, Sandra
    Parabéns pelo novo computador. É tão bom quando temos familiares que nos ajudam na tecnologia, é uma bênção. Parábola edificante. Deus te abençoe sempre. Um forte abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post my dear friend. It makes me think of my own times I have struggled, but looking back there was a lesson to learn as well.
    Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! I'm glad you remembered the old parable to give you the encouragement to finish this task. It was also very sweet of your grandson-in-law to let you know about the MacBook Neo. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the parable. I love how things that stretch us make us all He wants us to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.