11/12/23

MAINTAIN

This
 post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--MAINTAIN
Five minutes to free write about it 
-------------------------------------------------

"Things that are well-maintained last longer" is a truth I've seen proved in my 23-year-old car and the original appliances (except for a dishwasher that had to be replaced a few years ago) that are still in top working form in the apartment I've lived in for almost 20 years now.

Sadly the opposite is also true. 

Though I've always been careful to maintain things like my car, I have not done the same for my body and am now reaping the consequences of that very poor choice.

I am not an exercise person, but I did love ballroom dancing and that managed to keep my back relatively straight despite the long hours I spent hunched over my word processor. When I became a Christian, however, I was under the misguided notion that I had to give it up, so I did.

Now I have kyphosis and other back issues due to compressed nerves and have been going for physical therapy for what seems like forever. I know the kyphosis cannot be reversed, but had high hopes the other issues could be, so I've been diligently doing all my stretches and exercises even when I didn't feel like it. 

Though there has been some improvement it's looking more and more as though all I'm doing is maintaining it rather than continuing to move forward, and my motivation to keep spending so much time each day on my routine is starting to wane. But then came this week's very timely FMF prompt and our hostess Kate's post, which ended with this thought that encouraged me to keep on keeping on--"sometimes I have high hopes and unreasonable expectations, but I'm learning that the opportunity to maintain is no small thing" (Kate Motaung).

8 comments:

  1. I agree! You may not make it better, but you can likely keep it from getting worse. I have had kyphosis for many decades. But mine is a birth defect kind that shows up in the teenage years. Plus I have bi-level spinal arthritis, and stenosis. Keep on keeping on, you don't want it to get worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous quote that really says it all. Keep on keeping on!
    I do believe your car is as old as ours, actually ours is 24 years old. Sure hope it will stay alive as long as we do.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this unique blog. I also like that picture of you. I stopped doing certain things when I became a Christian, and now I'm thinking, "Should I start folk dancing again?" But I don't. I prefer walking. I enjoy walking inthe forest. However, I should do more exercises for my unstable pelvis. Wishing you a good week. Until the next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maintaining means non-decline which is a HUGE positive, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 80+ year old friend said the book, Treat Your Own Back, has helped him tremendously over the past 8 weeks and he feels much younger. I just ordered the book, so I cannot attest to it yet, but I thought I would pass it along. I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I think that might be a record. We maintained a 2006 truck for many years but finally had to buy a new one last January. It's not easy to keep doing the things you don't quite love. But, for the sake of keeping healthy or maintaining what we can do, we must. I am struggling with a few issues myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether we like to do it or not, walking is the best exercise. As we work through this age, we hope to keep on keeping on. Praying for you.
    Blessings,
    Janis #18

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am now paying the price for not taking care of my health better when I was younger. Lately, I've been doing a combo of qigong and yoga exercises and find that the poses do help with some of my health issues.
    Praying for you, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.