4/15/23

REALIZE

 

This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--REALIZE
Five minutes to free write about it
------------------------------------------------------

For a very long time I've had a philodendron (or at least that's what I'd always thought it was). It was always one of my favorites because of the two-tone color of the leaves--some light and some dark.




I grew it from a cutting.  








After many years had gone by it started to bloom. This took me by surprise because I never realized philodendrons could bloom.

I posted pictures on social media, and someone responded that it looked like peace lily blooms, which I agreed with, but this was a philodendron--not a peace lily. Nevertheless, her comment kept mulling around in my mind.

When I was watering it the other day I took a really good look, and sure enough, I realized, she was right. What was in the pot was a combination of a philodendron and a peace lily. How that happened remains a mystery. I don't recall ever putting cuttings of two different types of plants in the same pot.

Makes me think of all the times I've jumped to conclusions or made assumptions about things without realizing the truth behind them, and then experienced a range of emotions--mostly remorse or regret--when I realized how wrong I had been.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, you have kind of created a new crossbreed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great object lesson! I wonder how the two plants got into the same pot together. Reminds me that my husband (back when he was my boyfriend) stealthily planted popcorn in some of my aunts' houseplants and oh how we all laughed when they were puzzled at the strange corn-like leaves sprouting up among their ferns and flowers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know anything would grow from popcorn. I'm guessing he must have planted the kernels before they popped? Seeing their puzzlement must have been funny.😀

      Delete
  3. Wow, fantastic illustration of misconceptions.
    Love those plants what ever they are.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do enjoy houseplants,
    so beautiful to see,
    and living space they do enhance,
    but plants do not like me.
    I do my best to nurture them,
    sincerely I do try,
    but they're plotting from the stem
    interesting ways to die.
    I even had a bonsai once,
    it seemed a real hip thing to do,
    but it looked at me, and saw a dunce,
    and committed seppuku.
    Thus I find it quite fantastic
    that one can purchase plants of plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Andrew, you are too funny. Love "committed seppuku," haha.

      Delete
  5. The only two plants I was ever able to keep alive past the ten year mark was a philodendron and a peace lilly, But even they eventually bit the dust.

    Your story is a very good illustration how sometimes we just can realize the facts! I love it when we can find a lesson in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun discovery, Sandra! It's wonderful the two cuttings were able to propagate and flourish together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Sandra. I know almost nothing about plants so I learned something today!! And it's a great illustration that we don't always know what we 'know'. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.