1/14/23

RECEIVE

Th
is post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--RECEIVE
Five minutes to free write about it
----------------------------------------------------------

At first I drew a blank, but thoughts of all the many blessings I've received quickly flooded my mind after reading these words in one of my devotionals: Are you having a bad day? I mean, a really bad day? Are you ready for the rain to stop pouring down on your parade? Look up!

From the breathtaking sunrises I can see from my window, to miraculous provision when there seems to be no way, the gifts I receive every single day are innumerable. Not to mention the ones so often taken for granted such as being able to see, hear, walk, talk and breathe. All have been freely given, as has the greatest gift of all--the gift of salvation through the death of Jesus on the cross. 

Eugene Peterson wrote, "Christian consciousness begins in the powerful realization that what we had assumed was the truth is in fact a lie." This rings so true for me. I think of how grateful I am that God did not leave me where I was, convinced that I had all the answers and that the lie I believed in was the truth. He came to my rescue by way of an improbable journey I documented in my memoir Sincerely Wrong. I am thankful beyond words that I received this gift instead of turning it away.

---------------------------------------

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -- John 3:16, NIV

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. -- Revelation 3:20, ESV

8 comments:

  1. Truly such blessed gifts. am so grateful for all the Lord has given and brought me through.
    He is good and I cherish every day that I have breath.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder of how very much we have to give thanks for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely devotional for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true that we have to keep looking up to receive and enjoy the blessings in our lives such as sunsets and the beauty of the world around us. Thank you for sharing your heart and the encouragement from scripture. I am stopping by from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, no matter what trials we are facing there are also many good gifts and it helps to look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good reminder to take stock of all I've received from Him. Thanks for sharing, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is so kind to us, Sandra! Every breath of every day is a gift from Him! (I apologize for the delayed response; I was traveling this past week.) May you have a blessed week full of His grace, peace and love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra, I wake up every morning to see on my bedside cabinet a picture of a rose with the verse ' I will love Thee O Lord my strength.' It is a verse that has seen me through many trials. God bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.