1/22/23

AN EVERGREEN THAT ISN'T


This is something I meant to write about in the fall when the colors were at their peak, and I came across this golden beauty that I thought was a pine tree, except that pine trees don't change colors in the fall.

Blog friend, @Mari, commented that she thought it was a larch tree. Jake's Nature Blog (which I found on Google) confirmed this to be true.

Larch trees are evergreens that change color in the fall and shed their needles (sounds like an oxymoron to me, haha). They are the only conifer trees that are deciduous. Another distinguishing feature is that they have a very thick bark that helps protect them from fire.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I have not heard of this tree. It is so interesting! And the leaves are so feathery looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so amazing! I've never seen one in real life, but I would love too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's fascinating...interesting information.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love trees. My husband hates to see the leaves of trees falling in our garden during Autumn, and always puts them in the bin
    I have told him many times that everything has a purpose, and the leaves put nitrogen into the ground when they are left there for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.