11/28/20

GRATEFUL

This post was written for Five Minute Friday.
Word prompt--GRATEFUL
Five minutes to free write about it.

-------------------------

Ever since reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, several years ago, I have been writing long lists of things I am grateful for, and the more I look for the gifts around me, the more I seem to find. And yet, even though my heart overflows with thanksgiving for my many blessings, as well as for the things I have been spared from, I've been having an ongoing struggle with depression.

At the beginning of the pandemic, the restrictions did not get me down. I have a virtual job, so work was not affected, and I was quite happy to stay home and use Zoom or Livestream to attend church or meetings. In fact I preferred it, and was actually excited about the new doors technology had opened. However, after months and months of no human contact other than the occasional socially distant kind, isolation started to get to me and bring out the worst. Ugly feelings I wasn't even aware of started surfacing, and hurtful, alienating words were spoken that led to regret and self condemnation for falling so short.

However, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1-4), and no matter what, my God will never leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5)

I'm grateful that God loves me unconditionally and that He does not get upset by my rants (Romans 8:38-39).

I'm also grateful that He is longsuffering (a King James word I love that means slow to anger), compassionate, gracious, and forgiving (Numbers 14:18; Psalm 86:15; Psalm 103:8). 

I'm grateful that God's mercies are new every morning, and that great is His faithfulness (Lamentations 3:22-23). 

I'm grateful for Jesus, who after ascending into Heaven became our high priest, interceding for us before the Father. Because He was tempted in every way just as we are (even though He did not sin), He is able to empathize with our weaknesses (Hebrews 4:14-15).

There is so much more I could write, but I'm running out of time, so let me end by saying that I am very, very grateful that God does not treat me the way I deserve, and that He never gives up on me, even when I'm ready to give up on myself (Psalm 103:6).

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that God is out there,
    and that He's got a Son;
    them and the Ghost, they really care,
    and have a sense of fun.
    I mean, they made the Aarvark
    and the Boojum tree,
    and that hammer-headed shark,
    and they made, well, me,
    a task which likely gave them pause,
    "Ought we, Guys, or not?"
    for they had to sift a lot of flaws
    into the melting plot
    from which my sorry soul emerged
    to, grinning, flip the world the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew. I love this sonnet and your sense of humor. You've given me a much needed big, big smile.

      Delete
  2. "I am very, very grateful that God does not treat me the way I deserve, and that He never gives up on me, even when I'm ready to give up on myself" - I say the same thing for myself too. Grateful for God's unrelenting love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that book several years ago too and it made me aware too of how much I have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has given us much to be thankful for hasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure has, and there is so much we don't even notice because we tend to take it for granted.

      Delete
  5. He deserves all our thanks and praises. God bless and protect you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and amen.
    Truly thankful for every breath.
    Praying for you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! I started doing the grateful posts in Dec when Nick was sick. I find it helps to avoid the negativity all around. We all know it is there let's concentrate on all the good things, because we all have goodness in our lives. Thank you so much for sharing this. HUGS to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful for His unconditional love. How great He is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.