believe in God, believe also in me.
(John 14:1, NKJV)
Thoughts I am pondering on this rainy Tuesday morning.
Why have I had so many unexpected frustrations day after day that keep eating up my time and preventing me from accomplishing the things on my schedule that need to get done? Is it the enemy trying to mess with my head and steal my peace (1 Peter 5:8); or the Lord overruling my plans (Proverbs 16:9), for His good purpose (which is ultimately for mine as well); or a bit of both?
One of my devotionals this morning was about the phrase "Let not your heart be troubled" at the beginning of John 14:1 (see above). According to British preacher, J. H. Jowett, the emphasis should be on the word heart-- not the word troubled. In his words:The heart is to be clothed in serene regality even when hell is knocking and rioting at its very gates.
Inner peace is not the result of untroubled circumstances, but rather, of an untroubled heart.
I know this to be true, and yet I'd be lying if I told you that I never struggle to keep my trust and focus on God instead of my problems and frustrations. Some days the temptation to cave and give up is really strong.
The other devotional I read contained a timely reminder that faith is like a seed. It does not grow strong overnight. Seeds grow a little at a time, a consistent 24/7 growth, until they push their way through the soil and develop into what they were created to be.
Similarly, strong unwavering faith comes from constant meditation on the Word of God and consistently filling your heart with it, 24/7--not just turning to it when you feel like it, or it's convenient, or you have a need.
********************************
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8, NLT).
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps (Proverbs 16:9, NLT).
"I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid (John 14:27, NLT).
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world" (John 16:33, NLT)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV).
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3, NLT).
Then Jesus said, "What is the Kingdom of God like? How can I illustrate it? It is like a tiny mustard seed that a man planted in a garden; it grows and becomes a tree, and the birds make nests in its branches" (Luke 13:18-19, NLT).
So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up (Galatians 6:9, NLT).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.