7/24/22

CHANCE


Th
is post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--CHANCE  
Five minutes to free write about it
----------------------------------------------------------
Is it chance when you get a Yahtzee right at the beginning of the game? Is it chance when your great-grandson whose turn follows yours gets one too? Is it chance when you proceed to get two more?

Is it chance when you give thanks for a blessing and it gets taken away? The latter is something I've been pondering these last several months. 

I am a grateful person and love nothing better than encouraging others by sharing what the Lord has done, but so often that sharing has been followed by the loss of what I gave thanks for that more and more I've felt reluctant to do so.

As a Christian, there are several things I know. I know there is no such thing as chance. I know that God is good and in control, and that He loves me--no matter how things may be looking in the natural, or what my intellect tries to tell me. I know there is so much I will never have an answer to in this world, and that I need to keep trusting Him anyway.

These last several months I've been struggling with so many issues that it's been tempting to just throw in the towel, but I know that's not an option, so I keep pressing on. It's not the issues themselves that are so discouraging, but that every time there seems to be a breakthrough it never lasts. It seems that as soon as I share about it and give thanks, it's gone. Maybe the lesson here is not to let my emotions be swayed one way or the other in the face of ups or downs? I don't know.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us to "Always be joyful, never stop praying, and be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 

My friend, Lara Love, has repeatedly reminded me of this through the pages of her journal, 100 Days of Thanksgiving, which I just happened to be reading during my struggle (I don't think by chance).

I may never know the answer to my question this side of eternity as to why so many of the seeming breakthroughs that I've been blessed with disappear soon after I share my gratitude for them, but I can still be thankful that I got to enjoy them for whatever time they lasted. One thing does not cancel out the other.

9 comments:

  1. "...every time there seems to be a breakthrough it never lasts."

    Hmm...maybe you aren't looking at it long enough. Maybe it only seems gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe in coincidences either sister Sandra. I also love reminding myself with the verse you shared from 1 Thessalonians 5. There is always a different reason for each of us but I believe because we are involved in daily spiritual battles that it could happen with what we feel are victories only to not feel them after as our spiritual enemies are always active seeking who they can devour so they can steal and kill their joys. May you always remain strong in the Lord's mighty power! God bless and protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY! My husband is a bible scholar, and I asked him about this. He said he cannot make sense out of it. But I do know that, although God IS in control of everything, we still have free will, and things still happen that he lets go ahead and happen. For what reasons, is one of His mysteries. His ways are not ours, so are unknowable. He still loves us so much, though. Please do not let this shake your faith, I am sure it does not mean you are doing anything wrong! Why did God let the holocaust happen? We just do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life provides no crystal ball,
    and you can't know what will betide
    beyond the bend and past the wall
    when life's a tiger that you ride.
    Just grit your teeth and hang on tight,
    take the wind straight on your face,
    and through the day and darkest night,
    and put your trust in feline grace
    whose step is always quick and sure,
    with muscle as firm supple springs,
    and knowing this, you can endure
    the challenge that the wild course brings,
    and stepping down, when past all that,
    your mount will purr, a great wise cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry things have been difficult, Sandra. I've always found gratitude to be what keeps me sane and grounded. May your faith be strengthened. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry things have been hard for you. I agree that God is in control and that gives me great comfort in hard times. His plan is always the best, even when it doesn't seem that way to us humans. Praying for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is good and He is in control - well, amen to that! Praying that the days ahead will include many peace-filled moments....that God gives you exactly what you need to meet each challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so grateful that God is truly in control..even when I don't feel it.
    Some days are more difficult than others but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    Prayers for Peace in your heart and soul and that you will find the answers you need for this day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry about the difficult and discouraging times you've been dealing with. This post is filled with wisdom and reality - and hope. Never let go of hope and gratitude. Praying for you!
    Visiting from FMF#27

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.