1/1/09

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON NEW YEAR'S DAY

This morning I went blog hopping with no plans to post anything myself. Just thought I'd spend some quiet moments perusing what others had to say about the New Year. The more I read though, the more inspired I felt to put down some thoughts of my own.

I awaited the start of this new year with great anticipation, eager to start writing the story of my life on a brand new page of a brand new chapter. Kind of the same feeling I get when I buy a new notebook and open it up and see all those crisp blank pages just waiting for me to fill them up. I love the feel of new beginnings and fresh starts.

That said, I did not come into this year with a set list of resolutions. I do want to lose some weight, and be a little more disciplined and less prone to procrastination, but not in any rigid way that would invite failure. So Marie's post on A Year at Oak Cottage, spoke right to my heart, especially her comment about this not being a time for resolutions that only get broken one by one, but rather a time for aspirations and hope.

Yes, I am starting out with lots of hope and eager anticipation of what the Lord is about to do next in my life. But also with a measure of flexibility and open-mindedness, knowing that only He sees the entire picture and knows what is really in my best interests. This has been confirmed to me over and over as I look back on my life and see the places where His way was not my way but always turned out to be the best way.

Life being so full of the unexpected, I can truly appreciate Karen's preface to her 2009 To Do List on For Such a Time as Now: "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." (Proverbs 27:1). That is a wise exhortation, and I now add "Lord willing" to anything I take for granted, even if I don't always speak the words aloud.

Finally, I would like to direct you over to Shasta's blog, Eccentric Ramblingz, where she has posted a most beautiful prayer. Though I was not the one who wrote it, it is my New Year's wish for you all too.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I always enjoy meeting new blog friends....and...any friend of Marie's is a friend of mine. I love her blog too.

    I enjoyed looking through your smilebox slide show of your grands and great grands. What a darling family you have. I am sure that they bring you much joy as my family does me. We are both blessed aren't we!!!

    I just got my computer fixed so I will be posting again soon. I hope that you will come and visit me often.

    Have a happy new year. Grammy Lura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!!! Beautiful writing.
    You caught my heart and I haven't looked at the other posts yet.
    Love you, Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.