9/4/22

ROOTS


Th
is post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--ROOTS 
Five minutes to free write about it
-------------------------------------------------------
Roots make me think of anchors and stability.

For plants, roots are the lifeline that moves water and nutrients from the soil up into the leaves and branches, as well as providing an anchor that keeps them grounded. Without roots plants could not survive.

People need roots as well. Roots provide a sense of identity and belonging, and a lot of other important things such as self-esteem, self-worth, self-confidence, a sense of purpose, and a way of relating to your surroundings.

Because of my Jewish heritage and the fears for me my parents had, I was very sheltered and our family origins kept a well guarded secret. At school I envied friends who came from large, close knit families, and wished I had family ties and roots too. I wanted to feel as though I belonged, but never seemed to fit in, and that is what down the road led me to embark on a very dangerous path.

After my husband's death I went on a search for roots and purpose, and thought I had found them in New Age and occult doctrines. Karma seemed like a perfectly plausible explanation of the things that had happened to me, and what lessons I was supposed to learn this time around. It was also comforting to know that my personality, talents, and even the events of my life were all predetermined by the position of the stars at the moment of my birth. It gave me a sense of peace and security I had never experienced before. Except, I was sincerely wrong.

But God! But God, in His infinite grace and mercy did not leave me there. Who am I that at a time when I believed I had all the answers and was no longer seeking, but rather persuading others to believe in the lie as well, God rescued me from the darkness I thought was light and set me on the right track. Now my roots are firmly anchored in Jesus, my sure foundation and I know whose I am and to whom I belong. My gratitude at His not just leaving me where I was so sure was the right place for me to be cannot be expressed in words. It is astounding beyond belief.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thakfulness. -- Colossians 2:6-7, NLT

I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. --Ephesians 3:16-17, NLT

But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. -- Jeremiah 17:7-8, NLT

11 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful testimony Sandra! You have roots, and they are firmly grounded, nourishing you and allowing you to grow and bear fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and you! Miss you!❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I knew who you are. There is no name. Just says Anonymous, which does not link back to anything. If you miss me, you must be someone I know and who I probably miss as well.😢

      Delete
  3. I did the same thing when I was much younger! Believed in reincarnation and karma. Thankfully someone set me straight. Jeses is the WAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to look for magic ways
    to make the crazy world make sense,
    and in my foolish younger days
    thought there might be recompense
    in karma's laws and fate's blind will
    among the hip robed devotees
    who showed, I thought, a holy skill
    in staying on their bended knees
    way past when my ligaments
    would begin to snap and pop,
    and even with the best intents
    I just really had to stop
    and step away from faith as style
    when I felt the Good Lord's smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing so openly about this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is so good and His love gave you a beautiful transformation. He does restore. Thank you for your transparency and sharing the Gift of Salvation.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thankful for your testimony! As wonderful as strong family roots are, being firmly planted in God's Word is so much better!
    Visiting (late!) from FMF#28

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's easy to get drawn in by the New Age stuff, if we are not rooted in God. I'm glad you found your roots and are firmly planted in your faith, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandra, it is always good to share your testimony, as there are others who probably journeyed down the same road too and need to be diverted to the road to Heaven. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your story, Great Granny Sandra. God's love for us truly is astounding - He seeks us out and knocks on our heart... your story has increased my hope. Bless you. Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.