2/5/22

ACHIEVE




This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--ACHIEVE
Five minutes to free write about it
---------------------------------

Recently I reconnected with an old grad school friend who tracked me down through Facebook. She has achieved much and the bio she shared with me was impressive. As I read it, my thoughts started traveling down the bunny trail of remorse over the poor choices I made during this 60 year interim, the squandered talents and opportunities. 

More than anything, I had wanted to make a difference, to feel acknowledged, to achieve something of significance, but that's not the way things played out. Life did not turn out the way I wished it had.

Regrets, however, are futile. Not one of us can go back and change the past. So midway down that trail I stopped and reminded myself that we are all Divine originals created by God for a special purpose no one else can fulfill. Unlike the world, He does not measure our self worth by our achievements, or by how other people perceive us, nor does He measure success in numbers. 

A question I had never considered popped into my mind. Am I really where I am today because of the poor choices I made, or am I here by God's design? Perhaps this is exactly what and where I need to be for this particular moment in His plan. Perhaps it's a token of His mercy and grace towards me.

Had I pursued my talents and education to their fullest, would I maybe have spent my life chasing after the things this world has to offer instead of the things that have eternal value? Would I have missed God's gift of salvation, a greater tragedy by far? That's a thought to ponder.

9 comments:

  1. Points to ponder for sure.
    God allows us our own choices and when we choose the better ones God can do His design and plan for us.
    Good 5 minute thoughts.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a very good point! This is a comfort for those who look back with frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good food for thought. I feel much the same way as you do. The choices I made in my life may not have been the wisest, but a good part of who I am today, and where I am today is because of those choices...and I'm in a good place. I'm not rich or famous, but I'm happy and content in knowing that I am a child of God. That makes me rich. I love that you always make me think, usually with my heart, thank you, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts! I look at others and think that I am not as good as they are, but I don't know their soul and I don't know their relationship with Christ. I just had a dear friend get remarried and I questioned his decision, but he spoke of the relationship he had with the new stepchildren and said he just felt that God had placed them in his life for a reason. About a week ago, I got a message that said ,"I know why I am here" and proceeded to tell me that his stepdaughters' dad had committed suicide. She thanked him for being there to care for her. What a powerful message that sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can make one's head spun to play the what-if game. All of our choices & all of our experiences have brought us to where we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can make one's head spun to play the what-if game. All of our choices & all of our experiences have brought us to where we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good thoughts! God has a plan and he puts things in our lives to bring us to where He wants us to be. And what a comfort to know that His plan is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Am I really where I am today because of the poor choices I made, or am I here by God's design?"

    This reminds me of two things. One is a Sheryl Crow song called Leaving Las Vegas. She sings, "...take this losing hand and make it win." Ah, I know someone who does that.

    Also... when I was a new mom (which I loved, and still love, and wanted to be for many years before I got to do it) a thought came to me when I resting after a ton of housework. What would it be like if I had gone to law school and become a Senator? Then the Lord's still small voice, "Well, if you want a demotion." 😂

    Our world is funny and it tells us things that aren't true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm confident that GOD has placed you where you are meant to be now and all along your life path. HE has shaped you into the perfect you! You are wonderfully made! No professional achievement is greater than our relationship with the Father. He loves you and me greatly! Jennifer FMF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.