1/29/21

BY DESIGN

This post was written for Five Minute Friday
Word prompt--DESIGN 
Five minutes to free write about it.
---------------------------

Maybe the timing of when Carol Kent's book, When I Lay My Isaac Down: Unshakeable Faith in Unthinkable Circumstances crossed my radar wasn't so good, or maybe it was perfect. 

Since the beginning of the year I have been battling fear, and listening to this audio book brought feelings to the surface I didn't want to face. Hearing how God turned what seemed like the worst, most unthinkable thing that could happen to someone into an amazing ministry gave perspective as to why He allowed it to occur, but it was not comforting. 

I know each one of us has been created, by design, for a special purpose in God's plan. That this tiny blip of time spent in our earthly bodies cannot compare to eternal life with Jesus where there will be no more death, or sorrow, or tears (Revelation 21:4). However, I have such an irrational fear of physical pain, becoming incapacitated, and/or being a burden to my family, that it can blind me to anything else. This kind of fear is not from God (2 Timothy 1:7).

If I really trust God as much as I think I do, why the struggle to relinquish control? And if I truly believe His promise to never leave me or forsake me (e.g. Joshua 1:9; Psalm 23:4; Isaiah 41:10,13; Isaiah 43:2), why should I be afraid of where He might be leading me? Especially since He has proved Himself over and over again in my life, always being there for me, always taking care of me, no matter how dark the valley.

These are the things I need to focus on. His goodness, His faithfulness, His unconditional love, and that He never gives up on me.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the
strength of my heart and my portion forever.
(Psalm 73:26 ESV)

Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I
shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will
be a light to me.
(Micah 7:8)



8 comments:

  1. I have the same fears as you. Pain, suffering, and if I were to end up alone, not being able to take care of myself and ending up in a bad nursing home. The Pandemic is not helping. And I am a deacon in church! I think fear has no bounderies when it comes to who feels it. We know about God's promises intellectually, but our emotions can be beyond our control. My doctor had me increase my meds to see if I can feel a bit less anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one control freak to another, I promise that when you you give God control. Everything goes smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is hard not to be fearful in these times. Keep clinging to the verses that kick fears butt. God will break the chain. God bless visiting from fmf #4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts today! I also know that God is in control and his way is best, but I struggle with it sometimes. I need to remind myself often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have expressed what most of us think at one time or another.
    I give it ALL over to the Lord and then take it back again and again. I guess that's the human, fallen nature that we are and have.
    But
    I keep reaching upward and going for the High Road.
    Thanks for your 5 minute writing.
    So good
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I give this to the Lord,
    what then will I see?
    Can I possibly afford
    what He asks of me?
    Will the whole thing be too great,
    will I fall and fail?
    What, oh, what, will be my fate?
    What does this entail?
    I have seen His only Son
    offered up to death;
    might I be the next doomed one?
    The thought fair teals my breath
    and brings to light my hardest fears
    until the empty tomb appears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that book too, a number of years ago, but I have never forgotten it. It was very powerful! I think we all have fears, but they're not all the same. Reading the Psalms is definitely a faith builder and a reminder of God's goodness! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is hard not to be fearful amid these scary times. Praying throughout the day helps me stay calm and comforted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.