12/10/08

IT MUST RUN IN THE FAMILY

A week ago I made a delicious pumpkin cake to take to a book club breakfast. Even more delicious was the Duncan Hines Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese frosting that tasted just like fudge. Well the recipe makes two cakes, so I froze one to use for company tomorrow evening. I'm not sure what my reasoning was, but I decided not to frost it until I took it out of the freezer to thaw. What a mistake! Well, almost.

Every day I dipped into the leftover container of frosting in the refrigerator and helped myself to a large spoonful, until this morning it suddenly dawned on me there might not be enough left to cover the entire cake. So I immediately took it out of the freezer to thaw, and was ever so relieved to find there was still enough for a thin layer over the top. Phew!

Visions of Christmas past when I had wrapped up several candy bars to give a friend for Christmas, but she didn't come when she was supposed to. After a couple of days, unable to contain myself, I unwrapped the gift and ate one of the bars, then rewrapped it, which would not have been so bad except that I continued this pattern until there were none left.

That, in turn, led me to thinking of the story about a favorite uncle who when he was a young boy (almost a century ago), lived in a small village in Hungary. He loved to eat. One day he discovered a large piece of salted meat his mother had hanging in the cellar for a special occasion. Every day he went down to the cellar with his little knife and cut off a slice or two, thinking his mother would never be the wiser. When the day of the celebration arrived and his mother went down to the cellar to retrieve the meat, she was quite shocked to see nothing but a very small piece remaining.

It must run in the family. LOL

5 comments:

  1. Ah the dreaded sweet tooth LOL. I to have one which I have a hard time controlling myself LOL. I baked cookies today and ate 4 of them. But, all is good! I loved the post. Thanks for visiting my blog. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now I am sure we must be related. I do that almost everytime I have chocolate to give to someone. Except I have gotten wise to that and try not to buy chocolate. Try is the key word here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe there wont even be any cake by the time I get there??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the temptation of it all! I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit and found something to make your day a little bit brighter.